Keratin 18 News! An update on its use in hepatology research
Posted: May 12, 2020
An update on K18 as a Liver Injury Biomarker
Keratin 18 (also known as cytokeratin 18), measured by the M30 Apoptosense® and M65 EpiDeath® ELISA, is used extensively in NASH clinical trials and others for:
- Secondary efficacy endpoint
- Pre-screening tool to reduce screen failures
In addition, K18 was explored by multiple groups for further research on use in DILI to:
- Increase early prediction
- Increase tissue specificity
Read more here.
K18 is among the most abundant proteins in the liver, but absent in muscle cells and non-epithelial cells. This plus its minimal day-to-day fluctuations in healthy subjects, means increased specificity for researching liver injury events.
Beware of Imposters!
Not all K18 kits are created equal.
- The M30 Antibody is a unique antibody that detects a caspase-cleaved epitope of K18
- Look for the Peviva trademark, on the M30 & M65 kits
- Only available through Diapharma in the U.S. and Canada
- The M30 Apoptosense® kit was optimized to allow for better discrimination between normal and abnormal samples (Bantel H et al 2014).
VLV Bio products are for research use only in the U.S. and Canada
|Over 20 years of scientific expertise, with support just a call or click away.|
Diapharma Group, Inc., 8948 Beckett Rd, West Chester, OH 45069